My Picture

My Picture

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Elder Taylor Betts' First Email

Elder Taylor Betts' First Email

Hey Everyone,

Well I am so very thankful that I have this opportunity to serve. Even though my family dropped me off on the curb and abandoned me, I still love them. As do I love all you guys.  So this is my first P-day. These last few days have been a lot of fun. We have had so many spiritual experiences, and I have only been here for two days. During our first class I walked in and everyone was signing. I was completely lost. These people are way more advanced than me. There is one on my roommates who has been signing for 10 years. 2 of the missionaries in my department are deaf, one has a cochlear implant which when he has it on he can hear. My companion is Elder Phillips from Houston Texas. The other companionship in our residency is Elder Reeve (From Draper UT) and Elder Pierce (From Colorado Springs, Colorado). I can now say that I have improved my signing. I know how to pray in ASL. It is so cool to have a prayer in ASL. The one person who is giving the prayer is the only one with their eyes closed. They sign as everyone else watches their prayer be given. It brings in the spirit so quickly. Another thing that brings the spirit in is when we sing during our meetings. We are usually sitting in a corner on the side where we have interpreters which means we are close to the front during every meeting which is way awesome. Everyone in the room is singing the song, and all 22 of us ASL missionaries are signing along as we sing. It is such a neat experience.  The spirit is present and you can feel it everywhere. It is so strong. It is so much fun here. During one of our meetings with an "investigator" we couldn't think of what we should teach her. My companion and I said a quick prayer (yes in ASL) and then went back to wondering what to teach. It then hit us what we should teach her. We were able to prepare the lesson she needed to hear. I truly love it here. I miss all you guys and love you all. Feel free to write me any time. I would love to hear from you guys.
 

Elder Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment