My Picture

My Picture

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Week 5!!


So I have survived yet another week. This week however was a little different. On Monday night Brother McLay, one of the members from the Branch Presidency of mine, came up to our room. He usually always walks around our residency hall every Monday night. This Monday night he came for a purpose. That was to take me out and talk to me in the gathering center where we have a bunch of sofas. Anyways he talked to me and he was like, "It has been decided. Elder Reeve is no longer your district leader." At that point I was thinking cool I hope that he has found a new district leader and I couldn't wait to find out who it was. I thought he was going to talk to each of our district member and tell them the news. I was wrong. The reason he wanted to meet with me was because they had chosen me to be the new district leader. Out of all the people they could have chosen from, they picked me. I was shocked at first, but now I know that I can do it. It has been these last couple of days. I feel so powerful. Hahaha. No but really I just focus on being a missionary to the other missionaries. Other than that we had just a normal week. We are teaching the same investigators and they are progressing each time.

This week we also started a thing called MAPI. It is just more practice teaching different people. Along with MAPI we have TRC. TRC is where people from the outside world come in as volunteers and we basically home teach them. They are all members for our language. Other languages may have actual investigators come, but with us, ours are all members. During this last TRC my companion and I were with a couple. We got talking and I asked them if they were married. They said they were engaged and getting married in two weeks. My companion didn't catch on that we discussed that they were engaged, so he asked them if they had children. WOW!!!! The laughter coming from that room was off the chart. It was so funny. He then realized what was going on. They explained to him that their church, which is the same church as us, believes in Marriage first. After that the lady said (well signed it I should say), "We should have said that yes we have two children and one on the way. Oh and we are getting married in two weeks!!!!" It was so much fun. We laugh about that all the time.
On Sunday we had fast and testimony meeting. After that we went to a mission conference where the MTC Presidency talked to us. One of my favorite things that was said was by Sister Hacking. She said, "Give it everything you have got. Talk to everyone you see. Don't jude anyone. They are all children of God. You will be amazed by who you find. Have faith and patience." That hit me hard. I am not one to like hobos, but now I guess I will just have to talk to one. Also I decided a couple of weeks ago that my goal on the plane ride to Cali is to 1. not freak out because the planes are scary and they could possibly crash and i could get hurt or die. No i am not worried about that. I have the Lord on my side. but the next one is my main goal. 2. to place a Book of Mormon to at least one person on the way to Cali. I am going to do it.

Have you guys ever wondered what happens when there is a rain storm at the MTC?? Included is a picture of us enjoying the rain storm. Because as missionaries don't dance, we are walking in the rain and enjoying life. Spiritual thought from that anyone? I'm thinking along the lines of "No matter what goes on in your life, it's the small thins that matter."

A few funnies from the past week are:
1.Everyone in our district thinks that Elder Phillips will be the first one to be married. Rumor has it that he will propose once he walks off the plane.
2.In a certain district gathering we were discussing how we feel about each other, always good things all good things. Anyways it was my turn to talk about Sister Abeling. And the district leader signed to me-keep it short and simple we are almost out of time. So I did. I said. "I'm going to keep this short and simple, just like you Sister Abeling." everyone laughed so hard it was great.
3."The MTC is like EFY on steroids" general authority.
4. "If you don't look once, you are not a man (or woman), but if you look twice you are not a missionary.

Well that is all for this week love you all!!

Love always, Elder Betts

No comments:

Post a Comment